Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Eye-Fi Cards are Awesome

Christmas was a very special time when I was growing up. My parents went out of their way to be generous and to provide my brothers and I with gifts we'd enjoy. Now that I'm a husband and a father, the role has primarily shifted from recipient to the giver. My daughter's first Christmas was a blast. We had family in town and ate great food while we exchanged laughs, hugs and great presents.

I didn't ask for much because I pretty much have everything I need and most of what I want. My family is supportive of my passion for photography so they do a great job at finding me unique gifts that support my craft.

This year I received an Eye-Fi card. These things are cool.

Photo credit Eye-Fi.com


If you've never used one or haven't heard of an Eye-Fi card, they are SD cards with built-in WiFi. You can turn just about any camera that uses an SD card into a WiFi enabled device.

Recently I've decided to shoot commercial gigs tethered to my PC. However, I've been unable to find a long enough cord to accomplish linking my camera to my computer. Cables are available, but the length is limited to about 9 feet. I could make it work, but extra cables and wires are a pain.

I get this Eye-Fi card for Christmas and set it up. Set up was quite easy to do and didn't take long. There is a procedure that you will need to follow to get the card setup. It comes with a USB reader needed to accomplish this task. You'll also need to setup an Eye-Fi account. You don't need to subscribe to their image hosting services to use the card, but additional backup is never a bad idea.

Once the card is set up, just shoot a photo and it is uploaded to your account, social networks, image hosting sites and your computer. You link the card's built-in WiFi to specific networks. When the camera is powered on, the images will upload to that network.

Even high resolution .jpg files upload quickly. Raw images, in my case .nef files take quite a bit longer to upload. If you're in a hurry, this may not be the product for you. However, if you want to remove a step from your workflow this card is a great tool.

So, back to my statement about shooting tethered. The reason for doing so is so that I can edit images on the fly and see them as they appear on a calibrated screen. While Nikon's screens are good, you often miss a lot of detail that you'd otherwise see on a high definition monitor. So, now I can shoot an image and load it right to my computer and bam, done.

The technology is neat and it works well. I wish I'd have had one earlier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment